Monday, June 05, 2006

 

Flint 1951



In the summer of 1951, we moved from Flint to Burton, about 12 miles east. I was used to the big cities and big schools, but this place was really hicksville.

Mom and Ivan commuted to Flint every day and, lucky me, I got to do my senior year in Po-dunk, USA. Made a couple good friends at Dewey HS. I'm the guy, 3rd from the right in the back row and my buddy Wilmer is second from the left in the back. Louella (now Peg don't be jealous), my H.S. sweetie that year is third from the left bottom row. Enrique, best man at my wedding, is second from the right in front between Gladys and Carolyn. I've lost touch with everyone but Wilmer who lives in Indiana now.

I miss Enrique. He died in '73 in Nam. He was a lifer in the Marine Corps and died in a barracks fire near Saigon. Hard way for a Marine to die, in his sleep. Louella had cancer, I heard and died in 1979. She had married Wally Sinclair the tall blond guy in the back row. He still livs in Burton in the house his dad built after the war.

Comments:
You gotta love old photos. They bring pieces of personal history into a whole new arena. Pics like this one and your accompanying reminiscence are gems.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?