Friday, June 09, 2006

 

Bandstand


"We're goin' hoppin' (Hop!)
We're goin' hopin' today
Where things are poppin'(Pop!)
The Philadelphia way
We're goin' drop in (Drop!)
On all the music they play On the Bandstand.! "

This is a photo Ivan took on the tv screen when we were in Philly visiting his parents in 1953 right after I turned 19. They moved there in 1950 when his dad went to work for a company called Nordac or Norcon. They made aluminum siding for houses. It was new business back then.

That's Ivans little sister Wendy (really Gwendolyn) dancing with the guy on the right that looks like Eddie Cochran. She was like my age and Ivan was almost 40. His mom and dad were pretty frisky I guess. I dont remember if Dick Clark was on the show then. I don't think so. Does anybody out there remember when he took over the show? Was it when they went national? I really don't remember.

I didn't dance much back then. Like I didn't have rhythm. The music was already getting to processed by like 55 and everyone was starting to get overproduced. I liked the rockabilly cats though like Carl Perkins and early Cash. Jerry Lee and Buddy Holly was the best. But I really didn't pay attention to music too much until later.

Sorry I havent posted for a couple days. Been scanning photos and thinking what to write about. Sometimes I get a cramp betwixt my ears and nothing wants to come out, hey.

Comments:
Foggy:
I think Dick Clark got to Bandstand in '55 or '56. A little before my time, but I think that's when they went national. I remember seeing it daily as a kid and then they went to weekly around '64. I had teenaged aunts and i'd probably see it 3 or 4 times a week. Those were the Avalon/Fabian days. Though I do
recall Frankie Valle.
 
I think you're right Leo. I was at boot camp in '54 and we didn't have bandstand national yet. I was in Turkey in 55 til 57 and Dick Clark was on when I came back. It was all so sterilized though and wasn't much fun for us non teenaged guys. But we were getting into jazz and stuff by then anyways and that teeniebop stuff held little interest except for the gals dancing.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?