Sunday, May 28, 2006

 

When I was a kid


I was looking through my oodles and oodles of junk and newspaper clips and stuff this weekend. It was about 60 degrees today in Toronto and clear, not windy. So I took a bunch of stuff out to work on on the deck. I found this picture from when I was a kid. I think I was 10 in 1943 and we lived in Chigago with my uncle Ivan. He wasnt really my uncle but after dad died, well you get it, right?

I got this pic from a radio station promotion. They would do live radio shows with bands and singers in the big ballrooms and Uncle Ivan took me when he took my mom to the old Liberty Ballroom and she had been there that day and they had pictures left. Uncle Ivan got a un-autographed one but I liked it anyway.They called her Frances Smith or Frances Fox when she sang with the big bands. They changed her name in the 1940s sometime just after she married Roy Rogers her 4th husband. Yep its Dale Evans. This was like a holy picture in my house when she was inthe cowboy movies. Like the kids say now she was a hottie.

Comments:
Hey, Foghorn - love your new blog so far. Keep going! Dale Evans is the perfect starter and it sounds like you have a whole lot of stories to tell. I'm a big fan of Classics Illustrated comics too. I wonder if the orginal plates still exist somewhere.
 
This is cool Foggy. Dale was something else, for sure. I saw her at Mt Rushmore in '87. She was having a hard time getting around, but she was mighty gregarious and was having a lot of fun with all the kids who didn't have even an inkling of who she was.

By the way. My son Jacob has my colection of Classics Illustrated comics with him in Wisconsin. He took them to the Antique Roadshow when it was in Baraboo, Wi a couple months back (he didn't get filmed for tv) and they told him that the most tattered was worth about $60 (Huckleberry Finn) and the best (Tale of Two Cities) was going in excess of $120. Jeeze, who'd have thought? He promptly got them vacuum wrapped for safe keeping.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?